The best Immune booster recipe that I can recommend is a serene, peaceful lifestyle supported by appropriate nutrition, rest, exercise and a mindset that is not dominated by harmful thoughts. The following are ideas that I present to the Healer in you for Her/Him to customize the prescription that feels “right” for this moment in your journey.
I suggest that you approach these medicinals with care for the Plant species and respect to the Plant Spirit. If possible and available, choose fresh and local plants and make sure to take only what is needed from them — just enough.
NOTE: During the Covid-19 pandemic, many of the recommended products are sold out. Contact me directly since I still have some of the recommended supplements in my pharmacy.
Herbs that can help your immune system
Garlic (Allium Sativum): Eat garlic and most people (along with their cold germs) will stay away from you! This aromatic herb contains several helpful compounds, including allicin, one of the most potent, wide-spectrum antibiotics. If you feel like you are coming down with a cold, I suggest that you get Allicilin from Designs for Health.
Citrus fruits and other foods containing vitamin C: Bell peppers, cantaloupe, citrus, and pineapple are good sources of Vit C. You can also take this vitamin in pills. I usually recommend 1,000ml/day and up to 3,000ml/day if you feel like you are coming down with a cold. Some people develop diarrhea from taking Vit C; lower the dosage if you notice loose stools.
Echinacea: This plant increases levels of a chemical in the body called properdin which activates the part of the immune system that is responsible for increasing defense mechanisms against viruses and bacteria. Don’t be alarmed if shortly after drinking an echinacea tea or tincture your tongue gets numb or tingly; this reaction is harmless.
Oregano oil: Oregano oil can be a powerful ally when it comes to strengthening your immune system. You can mix 5 drops of oregano essential oil in one teaspoon of jojoba or olive oil and massage into the soles of your feet 3 to 4 times/day. I don’t recommend that you use the essential oil straight since it may cause skin irritation. For maintenance, you can take 1 capsule of oregano oil a day and up the dosage to 3 caps/day if you feel that you are coming down with a cold.
Immune-Boosting protocols with supplements
I have created the following protocols to boost your immune system during the Covid-19 pandemic. You will probably not need ALL of the products suggested below. Please contact me if you have any questions about which protocol you should follow.
- Basic Immune Booster: This protocol includes 2 supplements:
– A probiotic blend that contains highly viable, pure strains of “friendly” bacteria that support healthy nasal, sinus, and respiratory function and
– A multidimensional support formula containing vitamin C combined with zinc, vitamin D, and a concentrated blend of mushroom extracts.
- Vitamin C and Zinc with Zinc Tally: this protocol includes vitamin C, zinc and Zinc tally which provides a simple method for evaluating zinc status.
- Mushroom blend that features a concentrated water extract of 7 nourishing mushrooms with an extensive history of use in supporting human health. This powerful formula helps to support cellular defenses and a healthy immune system, which are critical in times of seasonal high viral load.
- Vitamin C: This Ultra Potent-C 1000 helps support healthy immune function and is a good source of antioxidants.
- Echinacea Synergy: a botanical blend of selected extracts—including a patented perilla seed extract—from plants traditionally used to support respiratory and immune health.*
Chinese Herbal formulas
NOTE: I recommend that you contact me before purchasing an herbal formula. In Chinese medicine, we take into account your constitution, your present state of health and the climate zone where you live to assess what variations of the below herbal formulas will best suit your needs.
Jade Screen Decoction (Yu Ping Feng San): The Herbs in this formula enhance your natural defense system by forming a solid screen to protect your body. This formula invigorates your vital energy, strengthens your protective Qi and closes the “gates”, the pores of your Land to what does not belong inside. Some studies have confirmed that Yu Ping Feng San has antiviral, anti-inflammatory and immunoregulatory effects.(1,2)
Ingredients: Radix Astragali Membranacei (Huang Qi), Radix Saposhnikoviae Divaricatae (Fang Feng), Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae (Bai Zhu)
Fu Zheng support: This herbal formula comes as a tincture. “Fu Zheng” translates in Chinese as “to restore normalcy and balance to the body,” or “to strengthen what is correct.” It is designed to support the immune system. Each of the herbs in Fu Zheng Support are known for their individual restorative effects. Coriolus is a strong tonic for the immune system, Reishi supports tranquility and overall vitality and Cordyceps augments the body’s vital energy. Flammulina, or Enoki, and Astragalus root support the immune system and Eleuthero root and rhizome regulates fluids. Fu Zheng Support creates a powerful combination for supporting vital energy and immunity.
Ingredients: Coriolus: Turkey Tail, Reishi: Mushroom of Immortality, Cordyceps, Flammulina, Eleuthero root and rhizome, Astragalus root
Immune-Boosting Essential Oil Recipe
- 4 ounces of pure water
- 10 drops of Lemon
- 10 drops of Rosemary
- 10 drops of Frankincense
- 10 drops of Eucalyptus
Place in a diffuser and enjoy!
Movement and Meditation
To enhance your natural protection against pathogenic influences, consider following these very simple yet powerful practices that I learned from teacher Maoshing Ni at Yo San University of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
To your Health!
Yamin Chehin L.Ac
1. Du C, Zheng K, Bi C, Dong T, Lin H, Tsim K. Yu Ping Feng San, an ancient Chinese herbal decoction, induces gene expression of anti-viral proteins and inhibits neuraminidase activity. Phytother Res 2015;29:656-661.
2. Gao J, Li J, Shao X, Jin Y, Lü X, Ge J, et al. Antiinflammatory and immunoregulatory effects of total glucosides of Yupingfeng Powder. Chin Med J 2009;122:1636-1641.