Detoxification is a normal body process of eliminating or neutralizing stored substances (called toxins) that can be harmful to your health. This Three-Day-Cleanse is ideal for those who are sensitive to or do do not like to take supplements. If you’d prefer to follow a 10-day cleanse based on nutraceuticals in the form of pills and smoothies, I recommend that you take this survey for us to decide which program may best serve your needs.
If you have a chronic condition or severe food sensitives, I recommend that you first follow this 4-week Elimination Diet before doing the Three-Day-Cleanse or the 10-Day metabolic Detox.
Step-by-Step Three-day Cleanse
- Follow the Core Recipe for three days.
- Follow the Recommended Foods List for three days, unless we agreed on a different path.
- Use Dry-brushing at least once a day for three days.
- Take an Epsom Salt bath.
- If you can, schedule a 30 min Far Infrared Sauna at least once during the three-day cleanse.
- Take a 20 minute Immersion Bath at least on one of the three days. Use 1/2 cup of Epsom salt, 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and, if you’d like, add a few drops of Lavender or Ylang Ylang essential oil to the hot water.
- Give yourself the gift of a Lazy Day, Plum Village’s mindfulness practice of being rather than doing.
- If I gave you Ion Pumping Cords for home therapy, follow the Liver Cleanse protocol for three days.
- Schedule an acupuncture session for after the Three-day Cleanse so we can assess if there is any remaining toxic impact on your body and mind.
- ½ a squeezed lemon with a pinch of cayenne pepper in a cup of warm water. Take upon waking, first thing in the morning
- Vegetable Juice: 24 oz. Make the juice from cabbage, cucumber, carrot/greens, celery, turnip, asparagus, beet/greens, parsley, apple, aloe Vera, ½ ginger root. (Split up into 3 portions and drink through the day).
- Vegetable Broth: 24oz. You can make the broth from as many of the
following items: collards, swiss chard, kale, mustard greens, cabbage, dandelion, Brussel sprouts , swiss chard, watercress, seaweed (any type), shitake mushrooms, cilantro, garlic, leek, fennel, (1/4 spoon), anise (1-2 pieces), ginger (3 slices),turmeric (1/4 spoon). (Divide into 3 portions and drink through the day).
- Supplement with 1tsp of either flax seed oil or deep sea fish oil. You can also make this overnight Chia pudding and take a teaspoon of pudding before bed.
- 1 cup of liquid before bed time: 8oz of warm water, 1tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp maple syrup.
Note: If you tend towards loose stools, I suggest that you choose either the vegetable juice or the vegetable broth since if you have them together it may be a bit irritating to your intestines. As always, li sten to your body, more not always means better.
If you are used to fasting, I recommend that you just follow this core recipe on day one and then add the recommended foods below for the next two days.
Recommended Foods List
Vegetables (organic varieties preferred)
Broccoli, broccoflower, brussels sprouts, red or green cabbage, bok choy, green onions, scallions, kohlrabi, leeks, onions, radishes, rutabaga, turnips.
Greens: arugula,, collard, dandelion, endive, escarole, kale, spinach, swiss, Swiss chard, radicchio, turnip, watercress, all varieties of lettuce.
Avoid: corn and breaded vegetables or vegetables packed in cheese, cream or butter sauces.
Non-vegetarians: Wild caught fish is recommended over farm raised
Alaskan, wild-caught salmon (3oz), Herring (3oz), Mackerel (3oz), Trout (3oz).
Avoid: eggs, egg replacers, beef, pork, poultry, shellfish, processed/canned meats, sausages and breaded protein options.
Vegetarians: Legumes/Plant-based proteins:
Beans: black cannellini, garbanzo, kidney, lima, mung, navy, pinto, vegetarian refried beans.
Lentils: brown, green, yellow
Peas: black eyed, pigeon beans, split
Avoid: soybeans, edamame, wasabi, soy protein powders and other soy-based protein options such as tempeh, tofu and texturized vegetable protein.
Milks (unsweetened, organic and plain are recommended): almond, coconut, hazelnut, hemp, rice
Yogurt: coconut ( no more than1/2 cup)
Avoid: whey products, non-dairy creamers, soy yogurt and soy milk. Eliminate animal milks, yogutrs and cheeses.
Rice: basmati, brown, white (1/2 cup)
Oats: gluten free, whole or steel-cut
Quinoa (1/2 cup)
Rice cakes (2)
Rice cereal: unsweetened (1/2 cup)
Note: Look for certified gluten-free oats and organic amaranth. For those on a low-glycemic diet, use wild/brown rice instead of white rice.
Avoid: cornmeal flower, corn starch, processed cereals and gluten containing products (made from wheat, spelt, kamut, rye or barley)
Apple (1 small), Unsweetened apple juice (1/2 cup)
Applesauce (1/2 cup)
Pear (1 small), Unsweetened pear juice (1/2 cup)
Oils & Fats
Avocado oil, Canola oil, Coconut oil, Flaxseed oil, Grapeseed oil, Olive oil (extra virgin), Sesame oil
Coconut spread (organic)
Note: oils should be minimally refined, cold pressed and non GMO. Flaxseed oil should be refrigerated. Try to avoid all food products/condiments with processed and hydrogenated oils)
Green tea (unsweetened)
Non-caffeinated herbal teas: mint, chamomile, hibiscus, etc.
Rooibos tea (unsweetened)
Mineral water (still or carbonated)
Water (ideally filtered)
Condiments, Herbs & Spices
Fresh or dried herbs: any (e.g., dill, basil, chives, cilantro, mint, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, etc.)
Ginger, Lemon, Lime, Horseradish, Mustard, Vinegars (unsweetened)
Note: look for gluten free unsweetened varieties and organic if possible. Avoid extracts (e.g. vanilla), chocolate, ketchup, barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, relish, prepackaged seasonings with gluten/dairy/sugars/MSG, and mayonnaise or dressings with dairy/gluten/sugars.
Enjoy the cleanse!
Yamin Chehin L.Ac