Best Essential Oils to treat acneBergamot, Cedarwood, Clary sage, Chamomile, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lime, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Tea Tree and Ylang Ylang.
Best Carrier Oils to treat AcneHazelnut, Jojoba, Wheat germ, Kikui nut, Vitamin E and Calendula
Mineral oil, Petroleum byproducts, Lanolin, and Vaseline since all of these have been shown to block pores and inhibit skin respiration among other ill side effects.
Home Made Remedies
- Chop 1 cucumber and blend with 2 tablespoons of aloe gel. Apply to your face and leave it on for 20 min, then wash it off. You can do this 2 to 3 times a day, especially if there is inflammation.
- Apply 2 tablespoons of plain organic yogurt to the affected area. Leave it on for 20 min. You can do this 2 to 3 times a day
- Boil one bunch each of fresh dandelion greens, carrot and beet tops in 4 cups of water for 20 min. Strain and drink the liquid. You may want to drink 3 cups a day.
- Boil 1/3 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries in 2 cups of water until reduced to ½ cup. Strain the juice and discard the raspberries. Keep the concentrate juice in a glass jar in the fridge. Use a cotton ball to soak up the juice and apply on the affected area twice a day.
- For oozing, infected acne conditions make a mask by mixing a ½ cup of pearl barley powder (found in Asian markets or acupuncture offices) with just enough egg whites to make a paste. Cover the affected area with such paste and leave it overnight. Wash it off when you wake up. Do this once a day for 1 week.
Diet is very, very important in the treatment of acne as well as a nice and flowing “gut”. Here are some recommendations:
Squash, cucumbers, watermelon, winter melon, celery, carrots, cabbage, beet tops, dandelions, mulberry leaf, carrot tops, lettuce, cherries, papayas, persimmons, raspberries, buckwheat, alfalfa sprouts, millet, brown rice, mung beans, lentils, and split peas.
AVOID: refined sugar, dairy products, chocolate, caffeine, carbonated drinks, nuts, shellfish, and fatty processed foods.
You will also benefit from this One Day Detox recipe…..a good way to cleanse from inside out!
Research shows that
- Taking up to 30mlg of zinc a day can help relieve the symptoms of acne.
- Vitamin A can help reduce sebum production. Dosages should not exceed 5,000 IU a day to avoid potential side effects; the usual daily dose is 1,000 to 2,000 ml.
- If acne gets worse or shows up before your period, you can take up to 100 ml of B6 vitamin all month long.
Remember that Stress is a big trigger for acne. Exercise can help you relieve stress and thus help alleviate acne. Also, the acupuncture points that I showed you in class can bring some relief.
Good luck with your “experiments” and have fun!
Yamin Chehin L.Ac, D.OM
Secrets of self-healing by Dr. Maoshing Ni
Aromatherapy, soothing remedies to
restore, rejuvenate and heal by Valerie Gennari.